Creating fall container planters is a fantastic way to bring the beauty of autumn to your outdoor space. Here are some creative fall container planter ideas to inspire you:
1. Traditional Fall Colors
- Plant mums (Chrysanthemums) in shades of deep red, orange, and yellow as the focal point.
- Add ornamental kale and cabbage for their vibrant and textured foliage.
- Accent with trailing ivy or ornamental grasses for added height and texture.
2. Pumpkin Spice Planter
- Plant small ornamental pumpkins, gourds, and squashes in a large container.
- Surround them with vibrant pansies, violas, and marigolds in fall colors.
- Use creeping Jenny or sweet potato vine as a trailing element.
3. Foliage-Focused Planter
- Create a container garden using only foliage plants for texture and color.
- Combine purple and green ornamental kale, heuchera (coral bells), and variegated ornamental grasses.
- Add a pop of color with purple pansies or golden marigolds.
4. Woodland-Inspired Planter
- Arrange small evergreen shrubs like dwarf spruces or junipers as the base.
- Plant ferns and heuchera for a woodland feel.
- Add small decorative mushrooms or woodland figurines for whimsy.
5. Harvest Bounty Planter
- Plant colorful Swiss chard or rainbow-colored lettuce for edible interest.
- Surround with ornamental peppers and nasturtiums for a fiery and edible arrangement.
- Include a small scarecrow or mini hay bales for a charming touch.
6. Monochromatic Elegance
- Create a container garden with a single color scheme, such as all white or all purple.
- White mums, ornamental kale, and dusty miller create an elegant and clean look.
- Purple pansies and ornamental cabbage add depth and contrast.
7. Fall Grasses and Berries
- Use ornamental grasses like feather reed grass or fountain grass as the main attraction.
- Add berry-bearing shrubs like beautyberry or winterberry for pops of color.
- Incorporate sedum or stonecrop for their unique texture and late-season blooms.
8. Rustic Charm Planter
- Plant ornamental grasses in a rustic wooden or metal container.
- Add small pumpkins, pinecones, and burlap ribbon for a rustic touch.
- Include sunflowers or rudbeckia for height and a splash of yellow.
9. Vintage Wheelbarrow Planter
- If you have an old wheelbarrow, fill it with a mix of fall flowers and foliage.
- Plant mums, pansies, and ornamental cabbage, and let some spill over the edges for a natural look.
10. Autumnal Spice Planter
- Plant fragrant herbs like rosemary, thyme, and sage alongside fall flowers.
- Use cinnamon sticks, cloves, or dried orange slices as decorative accents for a seasonal scent.
Remember to consider the size of your containers, the amount of sunlight they receive, and your climate zone when choosing plants for your fall container planters. With a little creativity, you can create beautiful and seasonal displays that enhance your outdoor space during the fall months.